This Private use package includes the following:
- D2 licence application and D4 medical forms – The D2 form is to apply for your provisional licence and the D4 is completed by the doctor when you have your medical. Assistance in completing these can also be given.
- Medical – Booked for you locally at a convenient time.
- Theory revision issued – A login will be issued so you can start to revise your theory tests on our online revision site.
- Multiple Choice and Hazard Perception Theory tests booked – These will be booked at your local theory test centre at a time convenient to you. These can be booked individually or together.
- 14 hours driver training including the 3a and 3b driving tests.
Book online today
What can I drive with the D1 category on my licence?
By obtaining a D1 category on your licence you will be able to drive a minibus. The DVSA define this as vehicles with:
- no more than 16 passenger seats
- a maximum length of 8 metres
- a trailer up to 750kg
Once you have applied for a provisional licence, completed a medical, sat and passed your theory tests and completed your practical driver training and test, you will be legally able to drive a minibus. Our Private Use Package will give students all the skills and knowledge that they need to safely operate a D1 category vehicle and pass their 3a and 3b driving tests.
D1 Removal of restriction
If you passed your category B car licence before 1st January 1997 you would benefit from acquired rights (also known as grandfather rights). This means that you will already have the D1 entitlement added to your licence. However, there is a restriction to this, called a 101 placed on the licence which means that you are not able to drive a D1 vehicle (minibus) for hire and reward (meaning for profit). You can drive a minibus of up to 17 seats for private use but if you wish to drive a minibus for hire and reward, meaning you will be paid to drive the vehicle you will need to sit and pass the D1 minibus tests.
If you passed your car (B+E) test after January 1997 you will need to take the relevant tests to obtain the category D1 on your licence.
How do I obtain my D1 Licence?
If you passed your category B licence after January 1997 you would need to follow the steps below to obtain your category D1 licence:
- Apply for the provisional entitlement using form D2, we can supply this to you or you can get one online from the DVSA here: Order DVLA forms – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Apply for and attend a medical using the form D4, again we can help you to book this part of the process and help you with the forms.
- Attend and pass the theory tests required. There are 2 if you wish to drive a D1 vehicle privately. If you want to drive a D1 vehicle (minibus) for hire and reward you will need to complete the third theory test which is the CPC Module 2 case study theory test.
- Once you have passed your theory you are ready for your practical driver training. You will be taught by one of our highly skilled instructors. You will learn how to drive the vehicle safely on the road and practice the manoeuvres required to pass the D1 DVSA practical test.
- When you are ready you will then sit your 3a and 3b driving tests.
- If you pass your D1 practical test and you wish you drive a minibus for hire and reward then you will need to take a further practical test which is the Module 4 CPC. This is a show me tell me practical where you are required to demonstrate your knowledge and ability in areas such as vehicle safety, securing loads and your ability to manage emergency situations.
If you pass your D1 practical test and you wish you drive a minibus for hire and reward then you will need to take a further practical test which is the Module 4 CPC.
Module 2 & Module 4 CPC
If you intend to drive a D1 vehicle (minibus) for hire and reward, for instance a private taxi you will need to ensure that you sit both module 2 and module 4 CPC.
Where can I complete my training?
Our Private Use Package is available to complete at all of our training centres. Students can attend one of our fully equipped depots based in Portsmouth, Southampton, Worthing and Reading.
Driver Training Instructors
If you complete one of our Private Use Package training courses, you will be taught by highly experienced and professional driver training instructors who are all experts in teaching D1 driver training. All of our instructors are dedicated to ensuring you pass your 3a and 3b driving tests.
See what our students have to say!
2 Start Ltd (Portsmouth), Unit 4 Shawcross Industrial Estate, Ackworth Road, Hilsea, Portsmouth, PO3 5HU
Call: 02392 123555
2 Start Ltd (Theale), Site C The Quarry, Deans Copse Road, Theale, RG7 4GZ
Call: 01184 021 861
2 Start Ltd (Southampton), Unit 2 Four Dells Farm, Poles Lane, Otterbourne, Winchester, SO21 2DY
Call: 02382 022975
2 Start Ltd (Reading), Unit 32 Youngs Industrial Estate, Paices Hill, Reading, RG7 4PW
Call: 01184 021861
2 Start Ltd (Worthing), The Vinery Ind Est, Unit 54 & 55, Poling, Worthing, BN18 9PY
Call: 01903 952410