The initial CPC (also known as the MOD 4 training) is a practical, ‘show me’, ‘tell me’ test conducted at our driving test centres by our own examiners. On the day of your test, you will receive 2.5 hours of training which will cover all elements of the practical test. This can be booked on an individual basis or may be incorporated into your driver training course.
The test is 20-30 minutes long and covers questions in the following areas; Daily walk-around checks, the ability to prevent physical risk, loading and the security of loads, keeping the vehicle secure, emergency procedures, loaded vehicle dynamics, border crossings, and security procedures. This encompasses a wide range of situations typically encountered by drivers and is covered in full by our instructors. CPC for both Passenger Vehicles and Goods Vehicles can be covered by 2 Start.
Book online today
Who requires the Module 4 CPC?
Module 2 – Driver CPC case studies test (computer-based exercise with 7 studies based on real-life situations – eg driving in icy conditions)
Module 4 – Driver CPC practical demonstration test (this takes 30 minutes – you will need to show you can keep your vehicle safe and secure, eg loading your vehicle safely)
The initial CPC training is a practical, ‘show me’, ‘tell me’ test conducted at a DSA driving test centre by an examiner, the test is 20-30 minutes long and covers questions in the following areas; Daily walk-around checks, the ability to prevent physical risk, loading and the security of loads, keeping the vehicle secure, emergency procedures, loaded vehicle dynamics, border crossings, and security procedures. This encompasses a wide range of situations typically encountered by drivers and is covered in full by our instructors. CPC for both Passenger Vehicles and Goods Vehicles can be covered by 2 Start.
Who needs it?
The implementation date for LGV’s is the 10th September 2009; and for PCV’s it’s the 10th September 2008.
- Drivers who qualified for their LGV (C1, C, C+E) after the 10th September 2009* do require the Initial Drivers CPC
- Drivers who qualified for their PCV (D1, D, D+E) after the 10th September 2008* do require the Initial Drivers CPC
*Drivers who passed their car test before 1st January 1997 do not require the initial CPC for Large Goods Vehicles
*Drivers who passed their car test before 1st January 1997 do still require the initial CPC for Passenger Vehicles
All drivers who are driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, or with 9 Passenger seats or more; require to do the Periodic CPC (as well as the initial where applicable) – 35 Hours of CPC training every five years.
Certain drivers do not require to have the drivers Certificate of Professional Competence – These are either based on what the vehicle is transporting, or what the vehicle is used for. Drivers are exempt if the vehicle is:
- used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;
- undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service; (must be driven by a qualified motor mechanic)
- used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Driver CPC; (must be driven by driving instructors)
- carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity**
- with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h; (such as agricultural tractors)
- used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order;
- used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions.
** For example, transporting scaffolding to the drivers place of work. Driving must not become the major part of the work. IE – The work being carried out at the site of work, must be a significantly greater use of time than driving itself.
Below are some videos giving you some insight about what can be expected on your MOD 4 CPC
See what our students have to say!
2 Start Ltd (Portsmouth), Unit 4 Shawcross Industrial Estate, Ackworth Road, Hilsea, Portsmouth, PO3 5HU
Call: 02392 123555
2 Start Ltd (Theale), Site C The Quarry, Deans Copse Road, Theale, RG7 4GZ
Call: 01184 021 861
2 Start Ltd (Southampton), Unit 2 Four Dells Farm, Poles Lane, Otterbourne, Winchester, SO21 2DY
Call: 02382 022975
2 Start Ltd (Reading), Unit 32 Youngs Industrial Estate, Paices Hill, Reading, RG7 4PW
Call: 01184 021861
2 Start Ltd (Worthing), The Vinery Ind Est, Unit 54 & 55, Poling, Worthing, BN18 9PY
Call: 01903 952410
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get all the latest updates, last minute cancellations and offers.
Sign up for our newsletters and receive periodic updates and industry news, changes to licence & operator legislation, updates about the training courses, last-minute cancellations and offers.