The Enhanced Learning Credits Administrative Service (ELCAS) is a provider for those in the armed forces. The goal of the system is to help leavers of the armed forces transition back into civilian life. This is completed with a range of training courses they can complete. This is done through the use of Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC).

Financial assistance is in the form of upfront payment. This is a maximum of three separate financial years. The training courses must be at least a level 3 or above. This is in relation to the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) in the UK, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Or, a level 6 or higher on the Scottish Credit Qualification Framework (SCQF).

All service personnel who are in service currently are automatically enrolled to be eligible.

ELCAS Approved Training Provider

These credits are accumulated over the time the individual spends in the armed forces. This is split into set categories, also known as “tiers”:

Lower Tier- Able to claim up to £1000.00 per financial year if 6 years* of eligible service has been accumulated.

*From April 2017, the qualifying service required for lower tier payments increased. This increase is from 4 to 6 years.

Service Personnel (SP) who have already accumulated 4 years qualifying service before 1 April 2017 will keep their entitlement. This is to use lower tier payments.

Higher Tier- Ability to claim up to £2,000 per financial year. This is if you have accumulated 8 or more years of eligible service

*Post Service Access A single payment up to £3000 for those who have 6 years or more of qualifying service** . This can count as all three payments

*See P30

**Qualifying service must have been completed on or after April 2016.

Wounded, Injured or SickPersonnel leaving after 1 April 2016, access will be reduced to 5 years.

Those who left between 1 April 2011 and 31 March 2016 (both dates inclusive) will have until 31 March 2021 to use ELC.
Anyone who left before 1 April 2011 will retain 10 years of post-service access.
If you were wounded, injured or sick (WIS) or medically discharged before reaching the four-year eligible service then you may still be eligible to claim ELC’s.

As for the training courses under the scheme, ELC can be used for up to 80% of the course cost. The service personnel must pay for the remaining 20%.

To apply for ELCAS, you must fill out a registration form. This should be sent to the correct authority within ELCAS once you have filled out your credentials.

You can claim your ELCs 3 times per financial year, running from 31st March-1st April.

Claiming ELC

In order to claim your funding, ELCAS have outlined what information which has to be submitted:

  • Fully completed claim form
  • Proof of last day of service (This can be a discharge document or a copy of P45 terminating employment)
  • A copy of a utility bill showing home address
  • Full information about the course you want to take (include registration date if applicable)
  • Completion and submission of course evaluation form for all previous ELC funded courses (view via members area)

Service personnel who left before 1st April 2016 will be able to claim their credits until their 10th anniversary of last day of service.

Service personnel who left on or after 1st April 2016, the expiry will be on the 5th anniversary of the last day of service.

The course must also start before the expiry date.

2 Start are a learning provider under ELCAS, as well as providing courses under the ELCAS scheme.