How Much Does ADR Training Cost?

The cost of ADR training does vary based on multiple factors, for example, if you just require a single Class or a complete Training package that covers all of the Classes from 1 to 9 or maybe just a specialist area like Class 1 (Explosives) and Class 7 (Radioactive) for example.

So to answer “How much does ADR training cost”, well it really will range depending on your requirements, but will be between £350 to £1575 as a guide based on our current prices at the time of writing this in early 2023.

By obtaining your Dangerous Goods certification you are making yourself more valuable to your employer and increasing your earning potential for such a small investment, invest in you today!

So if you are considering our training course or maybe just not sure which course is right for you, our team of friendly advisors are on hand to help and answer any queries you may have.

What is ADR?

An ADR licence is the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road, which most European countries have signed up to, each country that complies with ADR has introduced its own safety precautions through its national legislation.

ADR training is a highly specific and niche field, that requires specialist training. If you chose to take a course here at 2 Start, we will give you extensive knowledge and skills on how to deal with dangerous substances and enable you to achieve your licence.

The type of training that you need will affect the cost that you will pay for your training. At 2 Start we supply a range of different courses at varying price points. This allows us to cater the training to your specific needs, whether you’re a driver, packer or anyone who handles hazardous goods.

Who needs ADR training?

First and foremost, ADR training is a legal requirement for those impacted by its coverage.

Although it is believed that only those who transport goods by road need to complete the appropriate training, this is not true.

Anyone who’s involved in the process will need to complete some form of training for the carriage of Dangerous Goods, which can include those who package hazardous substances and the forklift drivers who transport the goods from the warehouse to the truck, to name a few.

The different types of ADR training we provide

  • Classes 2,3,4,5,6,8 & 9
  • All Classes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9
  • Class 1 – Explosives only
  • Class 7 – Radioactive only
  • Core, Packages & tanks
  • Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA)

How long does the certificate last?

An ADR licence is valid for up to 5 years, by which point you will be required to carry out a licence renewal or refresher course. In order to remain compliant, you will need valid certification.

Carrying a valid card is a legal requirement.

2 Start would recommend you undertake your retraining to remain compliant with the regulations at least 2 months (6-8 weeks) before your expiration date to allow for your new card to arrive in time. However, you can begin to refresh your training within the last 12 months before your cards’ expiration date.

It is important for you to remain compliant so that you can keep up to date with new technology and legislative changes that could have occurred since you gained your licence. Furthermore, it will help increase the safety of you and those around you when transporting hazardous goods by road.

If you are planning on driving/transporting hazardous substances by vehicle then you will need the relevant licencing for the vehicle in which you are going to drive. Therefore, if you are planning on moving products by car you will need a full driver’s licence. This could potentially add on costs for you if you don’t have a driver’s licence, as you’ll need to pay for driving lessons and a test as well as your ADR training. Additionally, depending on the size of your vehicle whether it be a lorry or tanker you will need to have an LGV licence. We provide both LGV 1 and LGV 2 training here at 2 Start.

Share this post

Comments (8)

  • Yousef Noormohammadian Reply

    Hi ,for Adr training course I should be have hgv class 1 or not? At that time I am in hgv course.

    6th January 2023 at 10:42 pm
    • 2 Start Ltd Reply

      I would recommend you speak with one of our training advisors who will be able to clarify any queries you may have in obtaining your ADR certification. Feel free to call our team of advisors on 02392 123 555 and they will be able to assist you further.

      12th January 2023 at 5:11 pm
  • Vince Battams Reply

    I’ve been asked by my employer to pick up a pellet of 36 x 25ltr tins of standard thinners (UN1263) in my van which is a standard Peugeot Boxer.
    The weight of this pallet is not the issue here as it is under the allowed weight for my can to carry.
    My concern here is I know from my point of view I’d need ADR certification of some sort, but not sure of what level I’d need.
    I’m telling my employer tomorrow (16th March) hat it’s not a case I won’t do it, it’s a case I’m not risking my licence at my age (almost 60) by doing it even if the chance of being stopped by VOSA or worse having an accident is slim, slim or not there’s still a chance.
    Can you advise please what course or level of training I’d need in the first instance to carry this task out.
    I’d appreciate a quick response here as I’ve also got to contact Citizens Advice here too as need to know what my legal rights are here just in case I’d have to go down the constructive dismissal route.

    15th March 2023 at 4:47 pm
    • 2 Start Ltd Reply


      This is more a question for the DGSA in all honesty, however in an attempt to help, we can see that the UN number supplied is in 5 parts, so depending on the vapour pressure and KPA, this will impact the amount (volumes) that can be carried and also what qualifications/certifications will be needed.

      This could require full ADR with PPE etc. or just ADR Awareness with fewer restrictions.
      Without more information its almost impossible for us to provide a definitive answer, sorry!

      17th March 2023 at 10:00 am

    Hi, I took my adr course back in 1999 but let it lapse because I was not using it. I guess it would be like starting from new if I took it now.

    4th April 2023 at 3:26 pm
    • 2 Start Ltd Reply


      I would suggest speaking to our advisors on 02392 123 555 as they would be best to provide you all of the options available to you based on your specific circumstances.

      5th April 2023 at 8:57 am
  • David Granville Reply

    Hello , enquiring the availability and cost for petroleum/fuel

    3rd October 2023 at 10:39 am
    • 2 Start Ltd Reply


      I recommend speaking with our advisors as the ADR options available vary based on your requirements and current experience.
      You can contact our advisors on 02392 123 555 to talk through all your options.

      3rd October 2023 at 10:53 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *