Driver CPC FAQs

You will only need to complete your 35-hours of periodic CPC training if you are driving for hire & reward purposes or as the main part of your job. If you are driving as a hobby, then you will not need to complete CPC training.

Any driver who first passed any category C driving test after 9th of September 2009 must have this new qualification. Drivers who held any LGV driving entitlement before that date have 5 years “acquired rights” to the Driver CPC.

The Driver CPC is enforced on the road in the same way as holding an appropriate driving licence and it is an offence to drive without it. There are penalties for drivers and operators who flaunt this new requirement.

We have both online and classroom CPC training courses available with 7-hour and 35-hour options on offer. We also have a wide variety of training modules that you can choose to complete!

You need a Driver CPC if you’re looking to drive buses, coaches or HGVs for a living. If the vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes or with 9 or more passenger seats and it will be the main part of your job then it's essential.

There are certain drivers who are not required to hold a Driver CPC, they are outlined below:

Drivers are exempt if the vehicle is:

    • Used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;
    • Undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service; (must be driven by a qualified motor mechanic)
    • Used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Drivers CPC; (must be driven by driving instructors)
    • Carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity. (For example, transporting scaffolding to the driver’s place of work. Driving must not become the major part of the work, i.e. the work being carried out at the site of work must be a significantly greater use of time than driving itself.)
    • With a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h; (such as agricultural tractors)
    • Used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order.
    • Used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions.

Operators (i.e., haulage and transport businesses) of HGV and PCV vehicles must also be CPC certified, however, the training for this is slightly different due to them being an operator rather than a driver.

The Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) is a legal requirement for those driving larger vehicles professionally.

Having been introduced in Europe, legislation came into effect in the UK on the 10th September 2009. Its purpose is to improve road safety and uphold high standards of driving.