Who needs Driver CPC?

You need a Driver CPC if you’re looking to drive buses, coaches or HGVs for a living. If the vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes or with 9 or more passenger seats and it will be the main part of your job then it’s essential.

There are certain drivers who are not required to hold a Driver CPC, they are outlined below:

Drivers are exempt if the vehicle is:

    • Used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;

    • Undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service; (must be driven by a qualified motor mechanic)

    • Used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Drivers CPC; (must be driven by driving instructors)

    • Carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity. (For example, transporting scaffolding to the driver’s place of work. Driving must not become the major part of the work, i.e. the work being carried out at the site of work must be a significantly greater use of time than driving itself.)

    • With a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h; (such as agricultural tractors)

    • Used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order.

    • Used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions.

Operators (i.e., haulage and transport businesses) of HGV and PCV vehicles must also be CPC certified, however, the training for this is slightly different due to them being an operator rather than a driver.