No Deal, No worries?

HGV after Brexit

Here’s 2 Start Training’s guide to preparing for life after a no-deal Brexit as an HGV driver.

As the reality of a no-deal Brexit is becoming increasingly possible, you’re probably wondering “what affects can it have on HGV drivers?” and “how should I prepare?” We will take you through some key preparations you’ll need to complete to make your life easier as an LGV/HGV driver after Brexit.

How Can no-deal affect drivers?

A no-deal agreement could have a lot of consequences for HGV drivers in the UK.  I’m sure by now you’re aware of the possible struggles you could face when driving in the EU after Brexit?

If not here’s a brief recap of some of the issues you could come across:

  • Longer waiting times at ports across EU countries.

  • Additional documents need to be attained.

  • Restricted access for HGV vehicles.

Drivers licence and IDP

Firstly, you need to carry your UK driving licence with you! I know you’re thinking “nothings new there?” But this is so important when driving after Brexit.

Secondly, you may need to acquire an IDP (International Driving Permit) to drive through certain EU countries.  An IDP is an international driving permit and allows holders to drive a private vehicle in any country that uses this document.  There are different types of IDP’s and the one you need will depend on which countries you want to drive through.

An IDP can be brought at a Post Office and will cost £5.50.  There are a few requirements that need to be met:

These are all problems you could face if you’re planning on driving in the EU after no-deal Brexit.  This blog will show you our tips for preparing for No-deal driving.

  • You must be over 18 years of age

  • You must hold a full UK driving licence

  • You need to be a resident of Great Britain or Northern Ireland

What about my Driver CPC?

In order to drive an LGV professionally you need a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).  This is a qualification that is recognised across Europe.

A Driver CPC is valid for up to 5 years. After this 5-year period, you have to complete another 35 hours of periodic training.

Passports & Visas

It could be possible that after Brexit, you may need to renew your passport.

It is important that when you are travelling, you have:

  • 6 months left on your passport

  • Passport needs to be less than 10 years old

If you don’t renew then there are some EU countries you won’t be able to visit.

After no-deal Brexit LGV drivers won’t need a visa for any trips that are less than 90 days in any 180-day period.  However, longer visits may require a Visa.

Where Can I go with a UK CPC Qualification?

If you hold a UK driver CPC you don’t need anything else if you’re a UK driver and work for a UK company.  This means you’re able to drive through or to any EU countries that UK businesses are allowed to travel to after no-deal Brexit.

However, if you’re a UK driver working for an EU company you may want to think about swapping your UK qualification for an EU one.  This would mean that you could work for either a UK or EU company after Brexit.  Although, this will need to be done by the 31st October 2019 deadline!

The UK will recognise EU CPC qualifications after Brexit.

What should I do about insurance?

It is imperative that you have the correct vehicle insurance cover when driving HGV’s abroad. A no-deal Brexit could mean that you would need to carry a green card, as proof of having the correct insurance.

There are certain cases when you will need to carry more than a green card:

  • If you are towing a trailer, then you will need a green card for the trailer (as well as your vehicle).

  • If you have more than one policy over the length of your trip

There you have it, those were our top tips and preparations for anyone who wishes to drive an HGV in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *