Posted March 4th, 2020

A lot of people assume that once they pass their driving test, they’ve
obtained the only driving licence available. However, if you wish to drive
other sizes of vehicle there is a variety of different licences depending on
the weight of the vehicle, that you must acquire before you can do so.

There are many different categories on a driving licence, most of which need
additional training and extra tests to pass. If you have gained these extra
categories then you have an ‘entitlement’ for that type of vehicle, allowing
you to drive it.

Here at 2 Start, we have a wide range of different trailer training courses
available, all of which will teach you the right skills and knowledge that
will help you remain safe on the road.

In a lot of cases, the different courses cover towing different size trailers
with different vehicles. Do you know what entitlements you have on your
licence? Or what you’re able to tow?

The first step into achieving any extra categories on your driving licence is
to pass your category B driving test, which will allow you to drive vehicles
up to 3,500 kgs. Due to recent changes in the law, there are now no
requirements to hold a “+E” entitlement in order to tow a trailer behind a
car. The car can have a 3500kgs maximum gross weight and tow a trailer
weighing up to a maximum of 3500kg.


Achieving a category C1 entitlement will allow you to drive any vehicles with
a MAM between 3,500kgs and 7,500kgs, with a trailer up to 750kg.

If you want to tow a trailer over 750kgs, the next step from achieving your C1
licence is to obtain your C1+E which will allow you to drive any C1 category
vehicle (7,500kg) with a trailer over 750kgs. However, the combined MAM of the
vehicle and trailer can’t be over 12,000kgs.

Categories C & C+E

Once you have got your CAT C licence, you are entitled to drive rigid vehicles
over 7,500kgs with a trailer that has a MAM of up to 750kgs.

Achieving your CAT C+E licence will then allow you to tow trailers of over
750kgs behind a vehicle within category C.

Due to recent changes in the law, there is now no requirement to pass category
C before moving on to achieve category C+E.


Category D+E

If you hold a Category D licence this means you can drive any bus that has
more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kgs.

A category D+E licence will allow you to drive any category D vehicles with a
trailer over 750kgs.

Call in now to enquire about Category D+E courses on 02392 123555.


If you take a D1 course, you will work towards passing your minibus licence,
which will allow you to drive vehicles with:

  • 16 passenger seats or less
  • Minimum length of 5 metres
  • A trailer up to 750kgs

A category D1+E licence will enable you to drive D1 category vehicles with a
trailer that has a MAM of over 750kgs. Although, similar to the C1+E licence
the combined MAM of the vehicle and trailer cannot be over 12,000kgs.

Here at 2 Start, we provide driver training courses for all the different
categories covered in this article, that cater to different requirements and
confidence levels. If you choose to train with 2 Start, you will be taught by
highly trained professionals who are committed to helping you pass your course
with a high standard.

Get in Touch

2 Start Training is a well-established driver training organisation, established in November 2008. We have many thousands of satisfied customers, the majority of whom now enjoy a career in the logistics industry.