Following the recent government announcement about another UK lockdown, there is some guidance about training and when/how it should take place.
A statement was released by HSE on 22nd December 2020 about lift truck training and COVID precautions which explained the following:
“Employers are required to ensure that their workers are trained and competent to operate any industrial lift truck equipment they use. Initial and refresher training may be required for new starters, for existing staff using new types of equipment, or as a refresher for existing workers”.
To reduce the risk of transmitting Coronavirus, employers and training providers have been given the following measures of control to manage the risks of training and to consider:
- If the training is urgent, based on their own assessment of the drivers’ competence & experience.
- If there are other staff with the appropriate training who could carry out the tasks on a short-term basis.
- Checking in advance of the training going ahead that no one is exhibiting Covid-19 symptoms.
- Providing a system for entering & leaving sites that maintains social distancing, minimises touchpoints and shared contact surfaces e.g., pens or touch screens.
- Ensuring staff and all visitors have easy and safe access to toilets and handwashing facilities with hot & cold running water. Also, that handwashing is carried out at regular intervals.
- Consider how social distancing can be maintained such as reducing class size where suitable distance cannot be maintained otherwise.
- Sanitise shared surfaces such as equipment between users.
- Providing fresh air ventilation wherever possible by opening windows & doors.
- Consider alternative methods of learning such as e-learning and webinars.
- Minimising face to face work wherever possible.
*Face covering do not count as PPE and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for suitable risk control measures.*
Workers that are engaged in necessary training activities may travel:
- Within a Tier 4 area.
- Out of a Tier 4 area.
- To a Tier 4 area from a Tier 1, 2 or 3 area.
Here at 2 Start Training, it is our priority to try and ensure our staff and our students’ safety and to do this we have implemented certain measures to help reduce the spread of the Coronavirus. The measures we have in place include:
- Hand sanitising stations positioned across our training depots, as well as regular handwashing breaks.
- All equipment and surfaces will be thoroughly cleaned between use.
- Temperature checks are required by all staff, visitors & students entering our premises with the correct protocols in place,
- Facemasks have to be worn whilst moving around our depots and between training.
We still have a number of training courses taking place which include forklift, IPAF, PASMA, HIAB and virtual CPC training that are available for you to book online now!