What is horsebox training?

There is a wide range of rules and regulations that you need to consider before you think about driving a horsebox, such as the type of horsebox you are using and the reason you are using it for.

The licence that you will need in order to drive a horsebox will depend upon the size of the vehicle that you are wanting to operate.

What is horsebox training


Before you are able to begin your horsebox training, you will be required to attend and pass a driver medical. You can apply for your medical using the D4 form which we can assist you with, we can also book the medical for you locally and at a convenient time.

Download Here!

Provisional Licence

Once you have passed your medical, you will then need to apply for provisional entitlement which is done by using the D2 form. Again, we can help you in completing the D2 form. Both the D2 and D4 forms will need to be sent to the DVLA, along with your current drivers’ licence. Once your application has been processed and approved, they will return your licence with the provisional entitlement that you applied for.

The provisional licence that you require will depend on how big the horsebox that you are wanting to drive is. This could mean you need a C1 or CAT C or you could need a C1+E or C+E if you are driving a larger horsebox with a trailer.

Order D2 Form Here!

Horsebox licences

The size and weight of the horsebox you are planning on driving will affect which licence you will need to acquire. If the horsebox you are operating has a weight of 3.5-tonne or lower, then you will only be required to hold a standard Category B (Car) licence. This would be for smaller horseboxes which generally have a 2 stall with a tack and changing area.

If your desired horsebox is between 3.5-tonne and 7.5-tonne, then you will need to apply for a C1 licence and complete a DVSA test. Any horseboxes that are over 7.5-tonne will require you to gain a Category C licence.



Horsebox trailers

If you’re using a car to tow a horsebox trailer using a Category B (Car) licence, the combined weight of the vehicle & trailer cannot be over 3.5-tonne, if you passed your test on or after 1st January 1997. If you didn’t achieve your car licence until after 1st January 1997, and want to drive your vehicle and tow a horsebox with a combined weight over 3.5-tonne, you will need to gain your B+E licence.

If you passed your car test before this date, you will be able to drive a vehicle and trailer with a combined weight of 8,250kgs as you will have acquired rights, also known as “Grandfather rights”.


If the vehicle you are thinking about driving is over 7.5-tonne with a trailer over 750kgs, you will need to gain your C1+E licence. Additionally, if the vehicle and horsebox have a combined MAM of both exceeding 12,000kgs, a C+E licence will be required.


Horsebox Training

Horsebox Training Info

How long does horsebox training take to complete?

Our Horsebox Training course will take students four days to complete. This course includes 4 days of driver training including DVSA test. Each day of training is 3.5 hours long and is taught on a 1:1 ratio with you and your instructor.

Horsebox Training instructors

All of our training courses are taught by highly experienced and qualified professionals, who are all dedicated to ensuring you can safely operate your vehicle and that you have the required skills that you need to pass your test.

How much will my training cost?

Our horsebox training courses cost £1,250 to complete which includes D2 licence application & D4 medical forms, Medical booked for you locally and conveniently for you and Multiple Choice & Hazard Perception theory tests booked for you.

Our friendly team will help you every step of the way on your journey, from booking your training with our sales team to our instructors ensuring you’re ready for your test.

Where can I complete my training?

This course is available to complete at all of our training centres which includes locations in Portsmouth, Southampton, Reading and Worthing, giving us good coverage of the Hampshire, Berkshire and West Sussex regions.

Do I need Drivers’ CPC?

If you are driving a horsebox as part of a hobby or for personal use such as going to amateur shows or taking your horse to the vets, you will not need Drivers’ CPC training. Although, if you are driving a vehicle over 3.5-tonnes professionally, for hire or reward then CPC training is required.

2 Start horsebox training

Horsebox Training Portsmouth

Horsebox Training Southampton

Horsebox Training Reading

Horsebox Training Worthing