Are we the only ones qualified? You would expect that only trained, professional, government approved instructors with years of driving experience would be able to become LGV and PCV driving instructors (car instructors have to be ADI qualified). However, you would be wrong, any person that has held a...Read More
DGSA – Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor
Dangerous goods safety advisers qualifications and training
Businesses that handle, process or transport dangerous goods on a regular basis must appoint a Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser (DGSA) in order to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The DGSA has 3 main duties:
- monitoring compliance with rules governing transport of dangerous goods
- advising their business on the transport of dangerous goods
- preparing an annual report to management on the business’ activities in the transport of dangerous goods
The DGSA is also responsible for:
- monitoring procedures and safety measures
- investigating and compiling reports on any accidents or emergencies
- advising on the potential security aspects of transport
These regulations can apply to any person who allows dangerous goods to be carried, not just the transport operator. This could include cargo consignors, freight forwarders, warehouse workers and manufacturers producing goods that will be collected from their factory.
2 Start Training are now offering this DVSA training course at our depots in Portsmouth and Reading. Over the 5 days intensive course students will be:-
- Fully aware of the scope of the DGSA legislation
- Be able to recognise the legal status of being a DGSA
- Be able to develop some basic strategies for resolving ‘typical’ DGSA problems
- Have any other DGSA related questions answered
- obtain a vocational training certificate after receiving appropriate training
- pass a written examination
The Department for Transport approves the mandatory DGSA exams. It has appointed the Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) as its agent. SQA sets, marks and organises the exams, and issues the vocational training certificates for the whole of the UK, and the certificates are recognised in all European Union member states. Find out about the DGSA training courses and exams on the SQA website.