Minibus and Trailer D1+E Training Courses



C1 License required:

Number of Hours Training:

DVSA Test included:

Ideal for beginners:

Access to Theory Revision Site:

Module 4 or 35hrs CPC included:

1 Retest:

D1+E Lesson

From: £246.00


D1+E Bronze Package

From: £871.00



D1+E Gold Package

From: £1,940.00


Minibus and Trailer D1+E Driver Training

All you need to know about how to obtain your Minibus and Trailer (D1+E) Licence.

How do I obtain my D1+E licence

If you passed your category B licence before January 1997 you will already have a D1 licence but with a 101 restriction, as well as a D1+E licence with a 107 restriction.

The restrictions that you have on your licence would mean you are not able to drive a minibus for hire & reward purposes and you would not be able to tow a trailer over 750kgs. This would mean you need to take a D1 training course to remove these restrictions. Once you have completed your D1 test, you would then need to complete your D1+E test in order to drive a Minibus and trailer over 750kgs.

However, if you passed your test after January 1997, you would not have either your D1 or D1+E licence, which would require you to complete a D1 and a D1+E training course.

You also need to complete your MOD 4 test if you are wanting to drive for hire & reward purposes. This is a show me, tell me practical where you are required to demonstrate your knowledge and ability in areas such as vehicle safety, securing loads and your ability to manage emergency situations.

What vehicle can I drive with a D1+E category added to my licence?

First you will need to obtain the D1 category on your licence.  Once you have this you can then apply for the D1+E licence meaning you can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg MAM (maximum authorised mass). The combined MAM of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.

I am a teacher and I need to drive a minibus?

If you are a teacher in the private sector at a non-charitable school, you will need a full D1 minibus license.

If you are a teacher in the state sector and drive under the CBPS, the area can be very complex and grey.

If you drive during school hours it can be considered as for payment. This needs a full D1 license.

If you drive out of school hours it may not, however you are still teaching/supervising/have care and control therefore acting as a teacher you may fall back to the previous ‘during school hours’. Claiming the concession will certainly bring you to the notice of the authorities, especially if an accident arose causing damage or injury with the obvious risk of prosecution.

Also please check with your insurance company regarding the use of non – full ‘D1? license holders to see if cover will still be in force.

Once you have obtained your D1 license, you are then able to upgrade it to a D1+E, enabling you to pull a trailer.

Get in Touch

2 Start Training is a well-established driver training organisation, established in November 2008. We have many thousands of satisfied customers, the majority of whom now enjoy a career in the logistics industry.

How would you rate your website experience?
Do you have any additional comments?
Enter your email if you'd like us to contact you regarding your feedback.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!